Employees are encouraged to manage a growing collection of online accounts. They create weak passwords and reuse these passwords across multiple sites. Consumers are careless about password creation, management and safety. The defenses around personal and corporate data inevitably start to deteriorate.
According to CSIdentity, here are some key findings.
- 61% of consumers reuse passwords among multiple websites
- 54% of consumers have only five passwords or less
- 44% of consumers change their password only once a year or less
- 89% of consumers feel secure with their current password management and use habits
- 21% of consumers have had an online account compromised
The average consumer takes minimal action to secure online accounts. To mitigate the effect of weak passwords, businesses should consider ongoing education, monitoring and authentication techniques.